Tuesday, August 15, 1989

Flying Cows and Other Atrocities

A flying cow I saw the other day,
I turned to look and he flew away.
I rushed into town to tell Mrs. Cory,
She only scoffed at such a story.
I went to the schoolyard to convince the kids,
They told the teacher, “This kid’s flipped his lid.”
I sulked on the street on the way to my house,
When there appeared this time a flying mouse.
And trailing behind him, before my own brow,
Was the previously sighted flying cow.
Into my yard I strolled, quite amazed,
Surely I appeared more than just dazed.
There mother sat upon her throne,
My look must have said “Leave me alone.”
She asked where I’d been? How was my day?
I could hardly manage to turn my head away.
She asked did I by chance spot a flying cow.
I looked at her astonished, she knew, but how?
As a child, she said, she saw it too.
I no longer thought of myself as cuckoo.
I don’t know that the truth is what we shared,
But I remember knowing for sure that mother really cared.

No comments:

Post a Comment